Or, Japan has taken away my favorite new toy… and now I don’t know what to post about.
Uhhh, or I’m just lazy ’cause it’s too freaking hot out and I spent the day at a comics convention.
- Went to library for copy of Interview with the Vampire because mine is missing. Theirs is too. Already read The Vampire Lestat over the summer. Deferred to Queen of the Damned. Anne Rice hit a wall on that one. Void still yawning wide.
- Refreshed 4chan threads on Shiki, mainly on /cm. Slow to update; too much Tatsumi; waaaaay too much TatsumixOzaki.
- Checked out Poppy Z. Brite’s Lost Souls. 60% of the vampires totally repulsive as characters. 25% of characters in homoerotic-toned friendship. Still aching for Shiki, but not a total loss.
- Listened to band Vampire Weekend. Promptly returned to Depeche Mode, Magnet, Placebo… and Lia.
- Looked at cover of Twilight. Smacked self and remembered that it isn’t supposed to be creepy and probably doesn’t have any suicidal Buddhist priests.
- Re-watched every scene with Muroi and Sunako. At least twice.
- Resorted to fanfiction.net. Cringed a lot.
And yet I have managed to resist the urge to seek out the scanlations of the manga.
In other news, I have now come up with a new way to turn people down when at a bar, “Sorry, I don’t take people home – you never know when they might be a vampire.”
In actuality, I am not one of those folks who is big on vampires. I love Anne Rice’s earlier stuff (Queen of the Damned was beyond excruciating to read and I’m leery of trying any of the ones in the Vampire Chronicles after that experience), although that includes both Cry to Heaven and The Feast of All Saints, both of which have nothing to do with vampires. But I’m just generally into horror – I absolutely love Shirley Jackson’s work, and I think Edith Wharton’s ghost stories are some of her best writing. However, Shiki has kind of got me on a wee bit of a kick, although I don’t really see that lasting past the final episode of the show.
*breathes slowly* Ok, just two more weeks, two more weeks… I can make it…