So, which shows are already shitty out of the gate?
A ranking, based on first episodes (although I’ve seen second episodes for a few, the running ranking was written up as I watched each first episode, and I did not take second episodes into account):
- Future Diary
- Persona 4
- Kimi to Boku*/Mashiro-iro Symphony/Guilty Crown*
- Phi Brain
- Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere
Bolded titles are those I’ve decided to follow, starred titles are shows where I’ve decided to at least watch the second episode although I doubt I’ll keep following past that point bar something amazing. That I still haven’t completely watched Kimi to Boku’s second episode should give you an idea of how likely it is that it’ll end up in my final rotation.
Also, a reminder: I’m still watching Mawaru Penguindrum, so assuming I keep up with every bolded title, I’ll be following eight shows through to the new winter season.
As for the shows followed for now…
- Persona 4’ll really have to kick it up a notch over the next two episodes, because while there were some interesting elements in that first episode, it felt very mechanical as a story – i.e. this happens because this has to happen; there was a lack of an organic feeling there, and if that continues, I don’t think I’ll find it worth my while
- Mashiro-iro Symphony is something I could not possibly explain why I have decided to follow it. This is partially since I myself do not know why I have decided to follow it. Maybe I have this need to watch shitty, shitty shows so that I can better appreciate the good shows. Maybe I’m a masochist. Maybe I should get friends together for weekly Pure Shite Symphony viewings so that we can drink to it. The world may never know.
- In Tamayura~Hitotose~’s case, I must stress again: these rankings are based off of the first episodes of shows. I remain leery of whether Tamayura TV can actually fill out twelve or thirteen episodes with its story and not feel overstretched. But that first episode was fantastic.
- Not something I’m following, but while MajiKoi had an entertaining enough first episode, the end of the episode said “Hi! Harem hijinks incoming! Take cover!”, so, yeah, that’s a no-go right there
Don’t really have anything to say about anything else on there. My original posts covered all of them, basically, and I feel no need to repeat any of it. Except maybe to once again reiterate that I’d like to scrape the face off of the male lead of Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere with, hmm, a rusty screwdriver.